CMC Savoury Crepes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes / Cooking Time: 20 minutes
There used to be a brilliant Crêpe cafe at our local shops which closed down a few years ago. They made the best savoury 'Farmhouse Crêpes', and we were terribly upset when they were no longer trading in our city. So, as you can expect, the GPHubby suggested we recreate the recipe and make it at home, which we have been doing now for years.
I've titled them CMC Savoury Crêpes (chicken, mushroom and cheese!), and are plain crepes filled with finely chopped BBQ chicken, sautéed mushrooms, sliced spring onions, grated cheese and garlic bechamel sauce. You could also use other cooked meats such as bacon or roaste beef/lamb if you prefer, but we use BBQ chicken.
For the crepes:
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- ¾ cup full cream milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- Butter, for frying
For the crepe filling:
- 250g mushrooms, washed, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbl butter, for frying mushrooms
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 cup finely sliced spring onions
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 and 1/3 cup finely chopped cooked BBQ chicken
For the Garlic Bechamel sauce:
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 500ml full cream milk
- ¼ tsp garlic powder (you can omit for a plain sauce)
- ½ tsp salt
For the crepes:
- Add the flour, milk, eggs and salt to a bowl. Beat by hand or with a blender until smooth. Leave in the fridge to chill while you prepare the other elements.
For the filling:
- Fry the mushrooms in the butter for a few minutes until soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Ensure the spring onions, cheese and BBQ chicken are prepared, and set aside.
For the Garlic béchamel sauce:
TIP –Make the sauce just before cooking the crepes to ensure it doesn’t cool and thicken too much.
- Fry the flour and butter on low for a few minutes until nutty fragrance is omitted.
- Add the milk in a drizzle over a minute and whisk vigorously to avoid any lumps. The sauce will start to thicken. Whisk for a further couple of minutes to ensure there are no lumps.
- Add garlic powder and salt and whisk to incorporate.
To cook the crepes:
- Add some butter to a large, non-stick frying pan and heat on medium heat.
- Pour in a quarter of the crepe mixture, swirling the pan to coat the base evenly.
- Let the crepe cook for a minute until the edges start to brown. Shut the heat.
- Scatter the following on ½ of the crepe: 1/3 cup BBQ chicken, ¼ cup grated cheese, ¼ cup spring onion.
- Pour a generous amount of béchamel sauce over the fillings.
- Carefully fold the other half of the crepe over the fillings.
- Turn the stove heat back on low and heat for a further minute to heat through and slightly melt the cheese.
- Using the spatula, carefully slide the crepe out of the pan directly onto your serving plate.
- To serve, drizzle over some more béchamel sauce and scatter any left over spring onion, if desired.
NOTE – You may have excess béchamel sauce left at the end. You can simply freeze, or use the sauce in making pasta or pie dishes.