FIsh + Bacon Sticks
Approximately 9 Toddler sized sticks
Preparation Time: 15 mins (+chilling) / Cooking Time: 25 minutes
My son loves Bubble & Squeaks, which are essentially potato and vegetable patties which you buy frozen and fry up at home. As I like to control the quality of ingredients and oil used in food I feed my son, I decided to make something similar from scratch. I had fresh salmon and bacon on hand so prepared these cute little pattie sticks which officially have the Good Parsi Kid’s nod of approval! These not only taste great, but are a great source of protein, vitamins and omega 3 (when using salmon). If there are any left, you can have a little snack too!
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt (for boiling potatoes)
- 1 tsp butter
- 70g piece of your choice of fish, deboned and from tail fillet if possible (I use salmon)
- 1 tsp coconut/avocado/olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped bacon, fat trimmed
- ¼ cup finely chopped spring onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 tbls finely chopped carrot
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (can be substituted for ordinary bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup coconut/avocado/olive oil, for frying
- Put the chopped potato into a saucepan, fill with cold water until the potatoes are just covered, add the salt and bring to the boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes / until potatoes are cooked through.
- Drain potatoes, add butter and mash until smooth and creamy. Leave to cool.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan with the 1 tsp of oil and cook the salmon on low heat for 3 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked. Remove salmon from pan and leave to rest.
- Add the bacon, spring onion, garlic and carrot to the same pan and fry on low heat for 5 minutes until carrots slightly soften and bacon is thoroughly cooked.
- Flake the salmon and add it with the bacon mix in a small mixing bowl.
- Add one egg and mashed potato and mix everything well to combine. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Lightly beat the other egg and place in a small bowl.
- Heat a medium wok with half of the oil for frying.
- Place approximately 2 tbls of the mix gently into your palm and squeeze to make a log shape. NOTE – As no extra breadcrumbs have been added to the mix, it is quite soft and needs to be handled gently.
- Dunk into the beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs to gently coat. TIP – It is easier to place the stick into the breadcrumbs, and throw surrounding crumbs onto the top instead of trying to roll it which could cause the potato mix stick to fall apart.
- Gently place in the frying pan. Repeat for 4 other sticks.
- Fry for 2 minutes on each triangular side until crumbs are golden brown. NOTE – As the sticks are quite soft, you will not be able to flip and create a square stick. It will become more triangular which is fine.
- Remove and drain on a plate lined with kitchen towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Add the remaining oil for frying, and repeat steps 11 to 15 until mix is used up.
Let the sticks cool until warm enough for your toddler to safely eat. You can either chop up into cubes, or let them eat the whole stick. After coating in breadcrumbs and frying, the sticks keep their shape, but are still soft and delicious inside. Store in the fridge for 3 days maximum, and you can either reheat in the microwave, or fry on low heat.