Guilt Free Chips
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 45 minutes
I love potatoes, and I particularly love eating chips. We often have a side of chips during the week when eating fish/pie/roasts so I decided to start making my own a few years back. Not only was this to save money, but making them at home meant I could control which oil was used during cooking, and what flavours were added. Baking obviously uses much less oil then deep frying, so these Guilt-Free Chips are not so naughty, very easy to make, and you can experiment with the flavours depending on what main dish you’re eating.
- 4 medium potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1 tbl olive/macadamia/avocado/coconut oil or melted butter
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- Few grinds of salt and pepper to taste
TIP – You can leave the skin on the potatoes if you prefer to make wedges.
NOTE – You can replace the Italian herbs with whatever herbs or spices you have including chilli, garlic, sumac, oregano or thyme (to name a few of our other favourites).
- Preheat oven to 220⁰C.
- Chop the potatoes into thick long chips or wedges according to your liking.
- Place the chips into a medium sized bowl and add in the oil.
- Place a plate on top of the bowl and shake to coat the potatoes.
- Add the herbs, salt and pepper, cover with the plate and shake a bit more to coat the chips evenly.
- Arrange the chips in a single layer on a baking try lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. [NOTE – You do not need to turn the chips unless your oven heats unevenly.]