Lemon + Saffron Butter Cake
A friend recently gave me some huge lemons from her tree, and I was inspired by the ‘When life gives you lemons, bake a cake’ quote. I have had some terrible experiences experimenting with cakes from scratch in the past, but I have to say, I think I’ve nailed it this time - it’s super soft, and the saffron/lemon combo is awesome! It’s also a ‘one bowl’ recipe – everything in and beat!
Makes 1 x 22cm cake
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 60 minutes + Cooling
- 1 tbl milk
- Generous pinch saffron
- 3 eggs
- 200g butter, softened
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 tbl lemon rind
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup greek yoghurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups Self Raising Flour
- Heat the tablespoon of milk in the microwave for 10 seconds. Add the pinch of saffron and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160°C on fan bake setting.
- Add saffron milk and all other ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed for a few seconds until just combined. NOTE – it may look curdled, this is normal.
- Line a 22cm cake tine with baking paper. Pour batter into tin and smooth out.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean in the middle.
- Remove from oven and leave in tin for 15 minutes. Invert to cooling rack and cool completely.
This cake is very easy to make and excellent for afternoon/morning tea.