Mixed Nut + Seed Cardamom Truffles
Makes 40 to 50 Truffles
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
The first few months with a new baby is tiring for the entire family. To help keep up our energy and maintain good health, I created these truffles so we could pop one into our mouths when we had a spare minute. Filled with the goodness of assorted nuts, condensed milk for slight sweetness, cardamom for that Indian sweet flavour and rolled in coconut, these truffles are not only good for you, but a delightful treat.
- 600g unsalted mixed nuts and seeds
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (380g)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
NOTE – I used almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios and sunflower seeds for the truffles pictured in this recipe. The cashews did not grind as well as the other nuts, so these had a slightly crunchy texture, which we all loved!
- Grind/blend the nuts and seeds together until they resemble fine crumbs.
- Transfer to a medium frying pan with the condensed milk and cardamom powder and heat on low.
- Stir for 2 minutes to combine and ensure the condensed milk has been absorbed by the nut mixture.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Put the desiccated coconut in a small bowl.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture, roll it into a smooth ball between the palms of your hands and then roll it in the coconut to thoroughly coat. [TIP – You might find your hands getting sticky and oily form the natural nut oil and condensed milk. Wash and thoroughly dry your hands at intervals to assist with rolling of the truffles.]
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a fortnight. I guarantee they won’t last that long!