Persian Roast Beef
We love a good roast beef, and usually eat it with salad and chips, or sometimes in homemade rolls with gravy. I recently purchased a mortar and pestle for the first time ever, and so I wanted to experiment making a wet spice rub for a roast beef. All these ingredients are easy to find in the pantry, and the spice rub takes only 5 minutes to whip up. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can roughly grind in a processor instead. It is important to rest the beef before carving to retain all the juices and moisture – so please don’t skip that step!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes + overnight marination / Cooking Time: 40 minutes + 20 minutes resting
- 1kg beef blade steak (or other 1kg beef roast cut of your choice)
- 1 heaped tsp coriander seeds
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 10 cloves
- Few shards of cinnamon
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbl olive oil
- Add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, pepper corns, cloves and cinnamon to a mortar. Pound with the pestle for a couple of minutes until roughly crushed.
- Add the garlic and continue pounding for a further minute or two until it combines well with dry spices.
- Remove garlic and spices from the mortar and place in a small bowl.
- Add the paprika, salt, mustard seeds and olive oil. Stir to combine well.
- Rub mixture into the beef blade steak. Place in a bowl, cover, and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Remove beef from the fridge 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 250°C fan forced.
- Heat an oven proof pan on high and sear all sides of the beef for around a minute each side. NOTE – each side should be lightly browned, and the mustard seeds may start to splatter so take care of your eyes and face while searing.
- Transfer pan with beef straight into the hot oven and immediately reduce temperature to 200°C. Cook for 35 minutes (medium done) to 45 minutes (well done). NOTE – if you do not have an oven proof pan, place a baking dish in the oven while the oven is preheating. Sear the beef in a pan, and transfer to the hot baking dish when the oven has reached the temperature. Be sure to add all the marinade from the pan to the beef in the baking dish to retain as much flavour as possible.
- Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes.
Carve slices of the beef to the thickness of your choice. To reheat leftovers, simply heat slices in a pan with a little bit of oil/butter until heated through.