Pumpkin, Carrot + Potato Soup with Chilli Cheese Toast
I find that some weeks we don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables, so soups are a great way to jam in multiple vegetables into one yummy meal. I love pumpkin soup but find it can be a bit sweet at times, so this combination with carrot and potato seems to work well. Served with chilli cheese toast, it’s a satisfying dinner on a cold winters night.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large red onion, peeled
- 2 small potatoes, peeled (140g)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled (100g)
- ½ small butternut pumpkin, peeled and seeds removed (280g)
- 2 cups chicken stock (Vegetarian option - can be subtituted with water or vegetable stock)
- ½ cup thickened cream
- ½ to 1 tsp salt, to taste (depending on stock saltiness
- Pepper, to season (optional)
- 4 slices of your favourite bread
- 4 slices of your favourite cheese
- 4 small chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- Butter (for buttering toast)
- Crush the garlic with the flat part of a knife and roughly chop.
- Roughly chop the red onion.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot on medium heat, and add the garlic and onion.
- Sautee for 5 minutes.
- While garlic and onion is sautéing, chop the potatoes, carrot and pumpkin into small 2cm cubes.
- Add the potatoes, carrot and pumpkin to the pot and stir. Pour in the chicken stock. NOTE – the vegetables should be just covered by the stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When vegetables are cooked, shut heat, cover with a lid and make the cheese toast. NOTE – If your vegetables are chopped smaller or bigger, cooking time may vary slightly. Use a fork to check if cubes are cooked through and break apart easily.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Toast the slices of bread to a light golden colour.
- Butter toast, top with slices of cheese, and top evenly with chopped chilli (optional).
- Place under grill until cheese has melted to your liking. Remove from grill. Leave to cool.
- Using a hand mixer, blend up the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Add the thickened cream and blend quickly until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup in bowls with toast on the side.