Rice Cooker Cake (Banana)
The boys and man in the GPFamily love cake – I make and freeze cakes regularly for school lunch boxes and office coffee time snacks. I’ve done a lot of experimenting with banana cakes in my time, but this recipe is just the best! I was inspired to perfect it for our new Panansonic SR ZX-185 rice cooker, which has the capability to cook different types of rice, soups, cereals and best of all CAKES! There is no beating, just mix everything together with a whisk/spoon and bake. My sister in laws will soon be testing this recipe for oven and standard rice cooker, but for the time being I’m issuing as is with baking directions for a rice cooker with cake function, and muffins.
Makes 1 x 25cm cake or 12 muffins
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 50-75 minutes
- 200g butter
- 4 eggs
- 100g raw sugar
- 250g banana
- 50g milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice powder (I used cardamom, star anise and cinnamon)
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave. Leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar.
- Smash the banana with a fork until it is completely mushy. NOTE - The cake consistency changes dramatically with too much banana, so please try and stick to 250g or slightly less if you are short on bananas.
- Add the banana, milk, vanilla and spice powder to the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Add half the flour, mix.
- Add half the butter, mix.
- Add the remaining flour, butter and mix.
For cooking in rice cooker with cake function: Grease the rice cooker pan with butter on the bottom and 2 inches up the sides from the bottom. Pour in the cake batter and cook on CAKE setting for 75 minutes (Skewer should come out clean from the centre and sides nicely browned). Remove pan and leave on bench to cool for 10 minutes. Turn cake onto wire rack to cool.
For muffins: Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with patty pans. Spoon the cake batter evenly in all 12 patty pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes until skewer comes out clean. Leave pan on bench to cool for 10 minutes. Remove muffins and cool on wire rack.
This cake tastes ABSOLUTELY DIVINE warm and lathered with butter. Or you can cool completely and freeze in snack sized portions for up to 1 month.