Smashed Potatoes with Cumin + Fresh Herb Vinaigrette
The GPHubby and I love watching the Australian Food Network and one night we saw a great episode of Bobby Flay’s Barbeque Addiction where he made a few dishes, including a Grilled Smashed Potatoes with Toasted Cumin Viniagrette. I had to give this a go but made a few changes to the original recipe: I cooked in the oven (not BBQ), added garlic powder, used olive oil and balsamic vinegar and added other fresh herbs in addition to parsley. This is an extremely delicious way to make a potato side dish and accompanies Indian food very well! Full credit to Bobby Flay for his recipe - my version is below.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 kg whole small potatoes, washed
- 1 heaped tbl salt, for boiling
- 2 tbl olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbl balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbl olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
- Few grinds of pepper (10 or so)
- ¼ fresh herbs, roughly chopped (parsley, chives and rosemary work well)
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover completely with tap water, and add salt.
- Bring to boil, and boil for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and place them on a large plate/chopping board to cool and dry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C on fan grill. NOTE – if you don’t have a fan grill setting, fan bake also works.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place potatoes evenly on tray.
- ‘Smash’ the potatoes with the side of a fork to roughly break each into half or thirds.
- Drizzle with the olive oil to lightly coat the potatoes, place tray in the middle of the preheated oven to cook for 15 minutes.
- Shut the oven and leave potatoes inside for a further 5 minutes while you make the vinaigrette.
- Add the cumin powder to a small non-stick pan/pot and roast on medium heat until just fragrant for a minute. NOTE – Be sure to keep an eye on the powder so it doesn’t burn!
- Reduce heat to low. Add the vinegar, oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and heat through.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes to a medium sized bowl. Pour the cumin vinaigrette on top and toss to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Add the fresh chopped herbs to the potatoes and toss to even coat everything.
Best served freshly made and warm.
Bobby Flay's original recipe can be found here.