Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes
My Good Irani Mum whipped this up for my toddler when I was busy taking care of my newborn. Ever since then, Toddler Rostis are a staple item on the kiddy menu, and I mix things up by using different meats each time. It is very easy to make, and is quite healthy too. This recipe has been trialled and tested many times, by a few different toddlers, and adults. It’s sure to please even the fussiest eater!
- 1 cup firmly packed peeled carrot (approx. 1 medium carrot)
- 1 cup firmly packed peeled potato (approx. 1 large potato)
- 1 cup chopped meat of choice (BBQ chicken, ham, cooked fish)
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbl tapioca flour
- 1 tbl finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 eggs
- Few grinds of pepper
- Ghee, for frying
- Mix all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan on medium, then reduce to low heat.
- Spoon a heaped cooking spoon of the mixture into the pan, and flatted to 1 cm thickness. NOTE – you may wish to use two pans to speed up the cooking, or one pan at a time. You will be able to fit 3-5 rostis at one time, depending on your pan size.
- Cook the rostis on low heat for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown. TIP – cooking on low heat ensure the potato cooks, softens and is not raw.
- Flip, and cook for a further 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen towel.
- Cool, and then serve to toddler.