Makes one large cake (16-20 serves)
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 50 minutes + cooling
This is one of my oldest recipes, and most fool proof. There are only a handful of steps so there is no way to go wrong in creating a deliciously moist and tasty vanilla butter cake. I also freeze portions of this cake for the GPHubby can take some to work to have with his morning coffee. The best part is that it is an 'All-In' cake, so only one bowl to wash!
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 220g butter at room temperature, chopped
- 1⅓ cup sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 170⁰C.
- Add all ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and beat on low speed with a beater/mixer until combined.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 2-3 minutes until mixture is smooth and lighter in colour.
- Pour into a greased/lined 20 x 30cm baking tin.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until skewer comes out clean from the middle. [NOTE – You can bake in smaller tins, however please note that cooking time will slightly reduce so keep an eye out to avoid drying out your cake.]
- Remove from oven and let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This is an excellent cake for morning or afternoon tea. I also slice the large cake into smaller pieces, cover and freeze to go with my hubby’s morning coffee at work.